Attorney Bill Ogden
Mr. Ogden is trained in civil litigation handling numerous and diverse issues for the over his 25 years of practicing law. Trained by legendary lawyers Konrad Kohl and Malcom Harris, he has advised clients on all matters of civil litigation, criminal law, family law, business law, contract law, residential construction litigation, personal injury law, and professional malpractice. He has broad municipal law experience while at his prior law firm representing the City of Lapeer and Metamora Township. Mr. Ogden added to his municipal law experience and served the City of Lapeer as a City Commissioner, a Zoning Board of Appeals member, and Planning Commission Member. Early in his career, Mr. Ogden researched and drafted numerous appeals at both the appellate and Supreme Court level and remains an extremely proficient legal researcher and writer. Mr. Ogden worked at the Metamora Law Firm of Kohl Harris from 2000 through 2013. As the Managing Partner at Kohl Harris from 2008 to 2013, Mr. Ogden was integral in helping build that firm into the largest and most distinguished law firm in the Greater Lapeer/Thumb Area of Michigan.
In Criminal Law, Bill Ogden has 25 years experience defending his clients and fighting the government in courts throughout the Metro Detroit area. Coupled with his criminal defense experience, Mr. Ogden has 13 years working as a prosecuting attorney for the City of Lapeer and Metamora Township where he prosecuted countless misdemeanors and civil infractions on behalf of those two (2) municipalities.
Generally regarding litigation, Abraham Lincoln once said -
“Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.”
Mr. Ogden adopts Lincoln’s philosophy in that the best advice for his clients is to try and make peace and avoid what could be a long, expensive fight. However, sometimes the fight is unavoidable and when it is, Mr. Ogden will bring all he has to bear to fight for you and be your advocate in any legal matter.
Mr. Ogden has an extensive and consistent history of donating his time and talents to his community, his social networks and various charitable organizations, including:
State Bar of Michigan
- November 2004 – October 2007 Member of Representative Assembly for the 40th Circuit, Lapeer County,
- 2006 – Representative Assembly Liaison to the Electronic Filing Task Force
- 2005 – Representative Assembly Liaison to the Elder Law Advisory Committee
City/County of Lapeer, Michigan
- City Commission, September 2006 to November 2007;
- Planning Commission, March 2008 to November 2012;
- Zoning Board of Appeals, March 2005 to February 2008
- Professional Advisors Committee for the Lapeer Community Foundation
- Lapeer Community Schools Bond Committee
- Volunteer Varsity Baseball Coach, Lapeer West High School, January 2001 to 2007
Detroit Country Day High School
- Alumni Board Member, November 1997 – 2004;
- Executive Council, Vice-President, June 2002 – 2004
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- President of the Student Bar Association. 1997 – 1998 School Year
- Alumni Board Member, November 1997 – January 1999
National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Michigan Chapter
- One of Michigan’s top individual fundraisers generating $10,000 to $20,000 in donations annually
- Member and Graduate of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s Leadership Class
- Founding member and Chairperson of Team Circle of Friends, Inc., a Michigan Nonprofit and 501(c)(3) whose sole mission is to raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Michigan State University
- Varsity Baseball Team Member, 1990-1992.